Monday, June 1, 2015

Life: Big Changes (Moving to South Korea!)

I've hinted in a few of my last posts that I had something big coming up that was still in the works. I've spent the last couple months (read almost year) trying to find out where and how I wanted to go teach English abroad. After lots of time, hard work, and money: I am now extremely happy to say that in August I will be moving to South Korea!

That being said, I have been super busy trying to prepare to leave (hence the fact that is has taken me forever to update). The process is long and tedious. But so far I am loving every minute of it. There are tons of websites out there that tell you the process for going to teach in Korea. It is long (especially for Americans) and not for the poor. My background check was going to take 15 + weeks to come back but I spent 3 times (rough guess) as I would have to have it expedited (FBI Channelers: there is a list on the FBI website and you have to make sure they are a channeler that sends the document that can be apostilled). Also it turns out, unlike some cities, Houston doesn't fingerprint at police stations, so you have to schedule an appointment at one of the select locations where you can get it done. They are not in good areas but the schedule is pretty open and the people are nice. Then you have to wait nervously for your record to come back (Side note: I have never even really spoken to a cop or gotten into trouble of any kind yet I was still super nervous about my background check. Goody two shoes here.). Then you have to send that into the US Department of State to get it apostilled. Which only takes about two weeks. In the meantime you need to get your diploma notarized and then send that into your local state department. None of this is free (well maybe the notary if you have cool friends ;) ). ON TOP OF THAT, you will be going through some sort of interview process to get a job. I went through a recruiter, who if you get a good one will be very helpful. (However if you are looking into this DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH BEFORE YOU ACCEPT THE JOB). But once again... tons of warning blog posts on that.



Currently I am in the final stages now. I sent in all my visa things to my school in Korea and am now waiting to hear back so I can continue the process at the  consulate here. Once that is finished my flight will officially get booked and I will be on my way. However there is a ton of preparation before then. I have a composition notebook filled to the brim with lists of things to do. And I may or may not be over preparing (packed all my winter clothes, ready to ship and all the shoes I'll be taking with me).



I will update more as things roll along. I will be really interested in focusing on how to keep up my weight loss efforts while living in Korea. Exercise and food wise mainly. I'm super super excited and cannot wait for this adventure to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment