Thursday, July 16, 2015

Health: The Fear of Regaining

During the course of any lifestyle change, there is always the question of "will I fall back into my old lifestyle?". This question is scary for those who are losing weight. The fear of regaining is a very serious concern. Not only because it is easy to fall back into old habits, but because the statistics are against us. Most people that lose weight, gain it all back plus some over the next 5 years. It is a scary prospect to think that all the hard work you put in could be for nothing. I am sure people are tired of reading this sentence, but it truly boils down to a lifestyle change not a diet. That is the only way that a person can hope to sustain the new weight bracket they are in. But unfortunately the odds will always be against those that used to be overweight. It is easier for people who used to weigh more to put on weight because fat cells do not disappear, they just shrink. So it is easier for someone who already has those cells to refill them, than it is for someone to create those cells.

So how are you supposed to stay motivated when the odds are against you? How are you supposed to want to keep up all the hard work when this fear is constantly on your shoulder? I try to see it as extra motivation. Yes I messed up once before, I lost 50 lbs in college and gained 80. When I realized I had regained and that I was over my highest weight, I was truly at my lowest in spirits. I was extremely disappointed in myself.. I don't want to feel that way again. I also know that the embarrassment will be doubled if I let myself regain all over again. So, I learned from the mistakes and know what to do and what not to do now. I motivate myself by telling myself to not become the statistic. I don't want to demotivate others by regaining again, so why not become an exception to the rule instead of the norm. Sometimes, I even just choose to ignore it. So what if the odds aren't in my favor, I am doing this and I will be successful. There are no "maybes", it is a statement: I will succeed. The possibility of regain is there, but it doesn't define my current situation. Currently I am living a healthy life and I am succeeding. That is what counts.

I hear from friends and read on forums people who regained and are scared to start over. I look at it like this: you lost it once before, so you can do it again. Will it be harder? Yes. Will it be worth it? Even more so than the first time. Fear of something is not an excuse not to start something. I say this to myself as much as I write it for others to read. This is not fear of heights or a fear of clowns (people in clown costumes mostly... so scary), this is fear of living your life. Living your life as healthy as possible, because losing weight is not just about the aesthetics, it is about overall health. And when you let fear dictate your overall health, you let it dictate your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment