Monday, September 28, 2015

Korea Life: My Apartment

I have been living in my apartment just over a month a now. I read a lot about how I would have to adjust to a lot of things. However, so far, I have found the differences minimal, to say the least. The apartment is small, but I think it is perfect for one person. Just enough room. I have everything I need in the apartment, with a little room to spare. It is comparable if not bigger than a studio apartment in Houston or any other big city.
It is a one room apartment with a small kitchen and a bathroom. As you can see it is not the biggest thing ever. But it holds a desk/table, bookshelf, tv/stand, queen size bed, drawers and has a nice size closet. The floor has a good amount of space for my workouts in the morning. I have enough room in the bottom of my closet to store my weights and yoga mat. I am sad that I filled the top up and my clothes are trying to bust out of the closet. My kitchen is very small and cannot hold much food. But, as I have said, it is enough for one. It is a pain to cook in because there is no room to cut veggies. There is no oven, only a stove. It saves on a lot of space and a lot of heat, so I do not mind.
So, let's move on to the differences. The main one is the bathroom. It is not like a traditional western bathroom. There is no shower or bath tub, it is just one tile room. Your shower head is connected to the sink. So you have to take a shower in the middle of the room. There is not curtain or anything. Just you in the middle of the bathroom showering. It means everything gets wet in the bathroom, at least at first. It is not bad, just different. Another difference is the washer and dryer, or lack thereof. There is only a washer and then lots of drying racks to hang your clothes. My porch, which in the US would be used for patio furniture, is solely used for my washer and drying racks. The last difference is that it is not normal to keep the A/C on for a extended amounts of time. In Houston, the A/C stays running, even when it is cool outside. It is not normal to keep the windows open all the time. But here it is very normal to keep your windows open instead of turning on the A/C or fan. So, my windows stay open all day and night, I have only turned on the A/C  a few times since I have been here. This could be because of a slight weather difference (hot/humid is all Houston is and the weather is beautiful here) but I also think it is just something we get used to doing now. There are a few other nuances that I think are well known. You don't wear your shoes indoors, so there is a spot in the front to take them off and put them. The plugs are different. You have different controls for the hot water. But those are all a given.
I am not done decorating yet because I need more on the walls to complete it. I have been on a search for really cute things to fill my apartment with. You know, the quintessential Asian cute stuff they are known for. I have found a few things. Cute stickers for my kitchen and bathroom walls. But nothing that I am super excited over. I will try to remember to take more pictures when I am done completely decorating. That could take awhile though.

No comments:

Post a Comment