Saturday, October 3, 2015

Korea Life: Living Off Convenience Store Food

The first few weeks I was here  I could not find an international ATM. So, I was not eating out but living off of cheap convenience store food (thank you GS25). When I say convenience store food, I do not mean the really processed, disgusting hot dogs and nachos you get in the states. Here convenience store food is much different. You can get as healthy or as bad of food as you want. I probably now have an unhealthy love for Korean convenience store sandwiches. Most of them have eggs/egg salad and are oh so delicious. But I have gotten kimbap to sandwiches to a full on stew from the convenience store. None of it cost over 25000won (2.50 US). The point of this being you can live off of convenience store food for cheap. Now the second point, this blog has a lot about losing weight and healthy living. Even though I was poor and eating from the convenience store. I still ate in moderation and chose wisely. So instead of gaining, I lost weight the first few weeks. Meaning that even if you have to live poorly your first few weeks here or even months here, that does not mean you will gain weight. Choosing wisely and eating in moderation are still big factors.

Lets move on to my real obsession that I buy from the convenience store.... banana flavored milk. It was honestly one of the things I wanted to try most when I came here. It is a hit or miss among foreigners, but it was a bullseye with me. I love the stuff. I would drink a bath of it. Even though I grocery shop now, it is something I still need to buy from the convenience store (this is to discourage me from drinking more than one a day because they are high in sugar).

I can now report that I can access my money back home and am back to cooking for myself. But I still treat myself to an egg sandwich once a week and banana milk a little more often. I am very happy I went through those broke convenience store times because there are other gems I found that I will probably continue to eat as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment